Friday, July 6, 2012

Brazilian Collards

Although we don't eat them or cook them very much my husband and I like collard greens.  He's made them before with some of his yummy fried chicken.  I thought that I'd try them out in this recipe.  I ended up halving the recipe, which originally called for 6 servings.  I knew the kids wouldn't be big fans and I didn't want a lot of leftovers.  Leftover collards definitely don't taste as good the next day!  I didn't halve the amount of bacon though because we all LOVE bacon!  You can never have too much of the stuff, right?!  And of course this is the recipe out of the three on my crazy night of cooking that I saved to make last.  I didn't really pre-read the recipe (again!) and of course the original recipe called for cooking an hour and 15 minutes!  Everything else was pretty much done at this point....I was not cooking these for an hour!  It ended up being about thirty minutes give or take.  Regardless, I thought that these came out really good!  Even my daughter asked for seconds (although I think she really just wanted more bacon!).  I don't know how Brazilian this recipe is.....I did omit the cayenne pepper the original recipe called for to make this child-friendly.  I would definitely make this dish again though. 

Brazilian Collards
recipe adapted from allrecipes.com - by Javagoddess
original recipe click here

Yields: 3 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 pound peppered bacon, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 pounds collard greens - rinsed, stemmed and torn into 3x6 inch pieces
1/2  cup chicken stock
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Directions:
1.Place bacon in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Cook until browned and most of the grease has been released. Stir in onion and cook until tender and glistening, about 4 minutes.

2.Place collards into the pot and stir to coat with the bacon drippings. Pour in the chicken stock. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.

3.Stir red wine vinegar into the pot. Continue cooking 10 minutes, until liquid is reduced by about 1/2.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment