Sunday, July 15, 2012

Kiwi Breakfast Cake

It's that time again for the Eating the Alphabet Challenge hosted by Brenda at Meal Planning Magic.  The goal of the challenge is to make a recipe that features a fruit, vegetable, grain, or legume that begins with one of the month's featured letters.  I enjoy participating in this challenge because I try to cook with ingredients that I don't normally cook a lot.  This month's letters were K and L.  A couple of months ago when I was weeding out my ripped out of magazines recipe collection, I put this recipe aside specifically with this challenge in mind.  I recently started buying kiwis since I discovered that my kids like them.  I don't think that before this recipe I had ever cooked with them though.  The recipe was easy enough.  Although I'm not sure if I did step number one correctly because my milk didn't curdle as directed.  As you can tell from my picture below, the kiwi is not really visible and doesn't look anything like the picture featured here.  My daughter renamed this cake "Kiwi Surprise" since we didn't know where the kiwi was.  After finding the recipe online at the Rachael Ray site I found the tip that says to cut the kiwi extra-thin (about an 1/8 inch thick) or else the kiwi will sink into the batter (which I assume is what happened to mine!).  I thought that the kiwi was already thin when I cooked it and didn't find the kiwi flavor standing out.  It tasted more like a cinnamon cake with a few kiwi slices. 


Kiwi Breakfast Cake
recipe from Every Day with Rachael Ray

Ingredients:
2 kiwis
1 cup milk, at room temp
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup sugar
3 eggs

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Slice 1/3 inch off ends of kiwis and press pulp from ends into fine-mesh sieve set over bowl of milk to extract juice; set aside for 10 minutes to curdle.

2.Meanwhile, peel kiwis and slice crosswise very thinly. In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Using mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. With mixer on low speed, alternately incorporate dry and milk mixtures in 3 parts.

3.Pour batter into buttered 10-inch cast-iron skillet and arrange kiwi slices on top. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment