Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

After spending a week away at my parent's beach house and then doing "quick and easy" meals (a.k.a. - take out, packaged gnocchi, leftover freezer soup!) this weekend, I was ready to be back cooking in the kitchen.  It was nice getting a little break from HAVING to cook to WANTING to cook! 

I'm not a huge philly cheesesteak fan, although I can't say I've ever had an authentic "Philly" cheesesteak! I do like the combination of mushrooms, onions, and cheese though!  I thought this recipe sounded different using ground meat instead of "steak" meat.  I don't own steak sauce so I adapted the recipe I found and used worcestershire sauce instead.  Overall, I thought that the dish would have more flavor.  It wasn't bad, mind you....just didn't have the wow factor I was hoping for.  I tried picking the mushrooms, onions, and peppers out as best as I could and gave the kids just meat and cheese on a roll.  I served the sandwiches with some sauteed broccoli.  I was happy that the kids ate all of their dinner!


Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
recipe slightly adapted from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
Brat Buns
Provolone Cheese

Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground turkey, and brown for about 5 minutes, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Add onions, green peppers and mushrooms. Saute until veggies are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in beef stock and  worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sauce reduces by half.

You can toast the buns if desired. Place a slice of cheese on the bottom of each bun, and spoon meat over top. The heat from the meat should melt the cheese.  Sprinkle additional worcestershire sauce on top if desired.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment