Monday, July 9, 2012

Children's Book Review: Archie and the Pirates

Archie and the Pirates

Archie and the Pirates
Written and illustrated by:  Marc Rosenthal
Published by:  Joanna Cotler Books, 2009

from goodreads.com:
From the creator of "PHOOEY!" comes a story about one charming monkey named Archie and his friends in a tale of adventure and derring-do where Archie faces down a band of rough and smelly pirates and saves the day.

* My husband had read this book with the kids a couple of weeks ago.  Since I hadn't read it I asked my son if he wanted to listen to it again.  Of course he did!  He told me that the book was really funny because there was fruit on someone's "hiney".....more about that later!  I think this story was almost like two stories in one.  We were half-way through the book and hadn't met any pirates yet!  I think the story could have just been about meeting Archie, the monkey, his life on the island, and him making new friends.  But 3/4 of the way through the book Archie awakes one morning to find pirates on the island.  He comes up with a master plan to scare the pirates away and makes some new friends in the process.  So after reading the story I ask my son, "I thought that you said their was fruit on someone's "hiney"?  So he flips back to the page where the pirates are being attacked by fruit and points to a picture of a pirate with fruit on his "hiney."  Yes, indeed, he was correct....of course, both my husband and I hadn't even seen it......the things kids notice!

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment