Saturday, May 26, 2012

Around the World: Tender Beef Kebabs

This dish was part of our final meal on our tour of Afghanistan.  The original dish called was Tender Lamb Kebabs.  However, when I went to the grocery store I couldn't find lamb cubes.  I didn't even think to buy a piece of lamb and cut it into chunks myself.....but I don't think was thinking very much at all.  I didn't read through the recipe before making so when I got to step 1 where it says refrigerate at least one hour, preferably overnight at 5 PM.....well, that wasn't happening!  And then I forgot to add the cinnamon at the end.....So, this recipe is really adapted and it's probably not even really Afghani anymore....but hey, I tried! I served this with Cauliflower Gulpea (see tomorrow's post), rice, and naan.  The kids, especially my daughter really enjoyed this and asked for "rice and meat" for lunch the next day.

Tender Beef Kebabs
recipe adapted from Afghan Culture Unveiled

Ingredients:
½ cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. dried ground coriander
½ tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 large onion, peeled, sliced thin

Preparation:In a large bowl mix together the yogurt, oil, garlic, coriander, pepper and salt and stir well. Add the beef and onions and coat evenly with the yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pull the beef out a half hour before you a ready to cook. Put the beef into large pot or Dutch oven and cover with a lid. Put it into the oven and cook until it is very tender (about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours). Remove the lid, give it a stir, and continue to cook another 20 to 30 minutes until some of the liquid has reduced and you have a thick, oniony sauce.

Sprinkle the meat lightly with cinnamon and serve with warm naan bread and plain yogurt. You can season the yogurt with a little salt and stir in some rated cucumbers or chopped mint if you like.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment