Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mini Corn Dog Muffins

A couple of weeks ago I had the rare occasion to go out with some former colleagues for dinner and too see a local play that one of the teachers was performing in.  My husband had the honor of taking the kids to the elementary school PTA sponsored Aloha Fun Fair.  They could have bought hotdogs and such at the fair.  However, I had 3 leftover uncooked hotdogs that I wanted to use up.  Plus, I felt better not having to pay a ridiculous amount for the same food that we had at home!  So before I left I quickly whipped these muffins up and served them with some french fries.  Same "bad" fair food but without the cost.  The kids enjoyed these a lot!  I ended up halving the recipe, (but I posted the original) since I only had 3 hotdogs.  And even with just the three we still ended up with quite a bit leftover.  Although these were originally posted as a Super Bowl snack I think they are the start of a great meal for kids.

Mini Corn Dog Muffins
recipe slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8-10 all-beef hot dogs, cut into 1″ bites

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in a bowl, and whisk to combine. Add eggs and whisk to incorporate. Add milk and whisk to incorporate.

2. In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt, and stir to combine. Whisk into wet ingredients in two batches.

3. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray, and spoon 1 Tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup. Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.

4. Bake for 8-12 minutes (oven temperatures vary), or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator, and re-heat for 20-30 seconds before serving.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.


No comments:

Post a Comment