Saturday, May 5, 2012

Pineapple Bread Pudding

For Easter we went to my parent's house and my mom made pineapple bread pudding as one of the sides.  It was so different and tasty!  We recently had our family over to celebrate my daughter's 6th birthday.  My husband cooked a turkey and I wanted to make the pineapple bread pudding as one of the sides.  Somehow I mixed up the website that my mom had found her recipe at (Cuisine At Home) and I found and made this version from Taste of Home.  This was a little different than the one that she made - hers used heavy cream, a stick of butter, and fresh pineapple.  Mine was a little "healthier" if you can call it that!  Regardless, it was delicious.  It's a nice "sweet" side dish with some savory elements.  Surprisingly, the kids weren't big fans of this, which I thought they would be because they love pineapple.  But, my daughter has an issue with warmed fruit.  I'm still giving it 2 thumbs up because all the adults enjoyed it!

Pineapple Bread Pudding
recipe slightly adapted from Taste of Home

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield:  8-10 servings

Ingredients:
10 slices white bread
3/4 cup butter, melted
5 eggs
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
Place bread on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 4 minutes; turn over and bake 4 minutes longer or until very light brown. Cut toasted bread into 1-in. cubes. Toss with melted butter; set aside.

In a bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored. Add the pineapple, sugar and vanilla; mix well. Fold in bread cubes.

Pour into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. 

Family Rating:  2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment