Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Children's Book Review: Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons

Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons

Cookies:  Bite-Size Life Lessons
Written by:  Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Illustrated by:  Jane Dyer
Published by:  HarperCollins, 2006

from goodreads.com:
Everyone knows cookies taste good, but these cookies also have something good to say. Open this delectable book to any page and you will find out something about life.

Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons is a new kind of dictionary, one that defines mysteries such as "fair" and "unfair" and what it really means to "cooperate."

The book is by turns clever, honest, inspirational, and whimsical. Go ahead, take a bite!
 
* My daughter first read this book on her own and told me that it wasn't a good book.  I forget her reasoning behind that statement but I had to read it myself to see.  So we read it together as a family before bed one night.  I have to say that I really enjoyed this story.  We've read a bunch of Amy Krouse Rosenthal's books over the past couple of months and we haven't enjoyed them all.  However, this one could definitely be on my list of children's books I'd like to own.  It's written almost in a dictionary-like format, where each page introduces us to a word.  However, the author defines the word or gives an example of the word by relating it to cookies.  These are "Life Lesson" words that you want your children to know, like cooperate, patient, fair, greedy, and courageous, with simple, easy to understand definitions.  The illustrations help reinforce the "lessons" using both people and animals.  This is a book that can be revisited time and time again and is one where children can take more from it as they get older.
 
Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment