Thursday, May 3, 2012

Leftover Turkey Casserole

When I think of casseroles this type of recipe usually comes to mind with the condensed cream of mushroom soup and fried onions (the ones that come in the can!).  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of casseroles.  I like one dish meals where the carb, veg, and protein are all together.  Usually it means quick and easy.  This recipe includes ingredients that both kids like - rice, turkey, and broccoli.  Somehow, my daughter was able to taste/see the mushrooms in the cream of mushroom soup, but luckily she ate it without a problem! I ended up cooking the rice in the rice cooker in the late afternoon before my daughter got off the school bus. When it was time to put the casserole together it was super easy.  I have to admit that I didn't have high expectations for this dish, but it was surprisingly tasty.  I don't think that the kids had ever tasted fried onions before this.  I discovered my son loves them, especially stuck together with the gooey, melted cheese, while my daughter disliked them (there are few foods that they both like....sigh!).




Leftover Turkey Casserole
recipe slightly adapted from Lauren's Latest

Ingredients:
2 cups precooked turkey, cubed
1 box frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed
1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
pepper
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups fried onions

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the cooked rice, broccoli, turkey, soup, and pepper all together. Pour it into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.

Cover the top of your filling with the cheese and fried onions. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted!

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment