Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Turkey Cranchiladas

When my daughter turned 6 a few weeks ago we had a family party.  My husband cooked a nineteen pound turkey which left us with a ton of leftovers.  I'm not a big leftover person.  I can eat leftovers for lunch the next day or for another dinner, but it's usually either or and then that's it. Knowing in advance that we'd end up with a lot of leftovers I searched in advance for recipes to make that used turkey.  Over the next few days I'll be posting these recipes and reviews.  The first recipe I made were these Turkey Cranchiladas.  Enchiladas are something my husband will sometimes order when we go out for Mexican.  I've never really been a fan, or so I thought.  These enchiladas were so tasty and have definitely changed my opinion of them!  They took a little bit of time to prepare and then need to cook for 45 minutes, but they were definitely worth it.  The cranberry sauce adds a bit of sweetness that compliments all the other ingredients, most of which you'd expect to find in a typical enchilada. The kids ate enough to get a treat, so that's a plus in my book!

Turkey Cranchiladas
recipe slightly adapted from Pink Parsley

Ingredients:
nonstick cooking spray
2 1/2 cups shredded turkey
1 (16 oz.) can cranberry sauce
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded Pepperjack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
3-4 scallions, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
10-12 (6-inch) flour tortillas

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, 1 cup of the cranberry sauce, the beans, sour cream, 3/4 cup cheese, 1/2 cup of the salsa, green onions, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Spoon about 1/3 cup filling into each tortilla, and roll tightly. Place seam-side down in the baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine the remaining cranberry sauce and 1 cup of salsa. Stir to combine and pour over the enchiladas. Cover the dish with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Continue to bake, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with additional scallions, and serve.
 
Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment