Friday, May 11, 2012

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad


I first thought about making this recipe for the Eating the Alphabet Challenge but thought it was too easy/simple.  Plus, I've already made something similar before.  But I love grapefruit and avocado so I ended up making this to serve with the Pepperoni Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.  I thought it would be nice to have something nice and light.  Effort wise though this salad probably took more time to prepare than the sandwiches!  Segmenting a grapefruit is not something I do very often and am not very good at, as seen in the photo below!  My husband and I enjoyed the salad a lot.  The kids are not avocado fans though and wanted to only eat the grapefruit.  I ended up quartering the recipe knowing that the kids probably wouldn't be big fans.  I didn't want leftovers because I didn't think they'd hold up very well.  I'd definitely make this again though for a nice, light side.  Especially over the summer when it's hot and I don't want to turn the oven on, I think this would make a great side for something barbecued on the grill!

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
allrecipes.com - by Sugar-N-Spice

Ingredients:
4 large red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
4 avocados - peeled, pitted, and sliced
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Directions:
1.Arrange the grapefruit sections and avocado slices attractively in a shallow serving dish. In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, lime juice, and honey until well combined; drizzle the dressing over the grapefruit and avocado slices. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment