Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Chicken Taquitos

I have found that my children usually eat best when I cook (or we go out to eat or order in) any type of Asian or Mexican food.  I have always loved Mexican.  When we go out to eat I can make a meal out of the basket of tortilla chips and salsa that they serve.  Add in some of the homemade guacomole and I'm in heaven!  My dish recently of choice when out to Mexican are flautas.  However, I can always go for some taquitos.  What I liked about this recipe is that they weren't fried, like you would get if you ordered them out.  Instead, these taquitos are baked.  I was proud of myself for remembering that I was making these earlier in the week.  So when I was cooking up the chicken for the Chicken with Balsamic, Bacon, and Mushrooms I cooked up and shredded extra chicken for this dish.  I served with some yellow rice and veggies.  My son loved these!  I think my daughter would have enjoyed them more too if I hadn't used medium salsa.  She's very sensitive to spice and said that these were too spicy for her. These were fairly quick and easy to make and super tasty!
Chicken Taquitos
recipe slightly adapted from Juanita's Cocina

Ingredients:
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup salsa
1 Tbs. lime juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbs. chopped cilantro
2 green onions, chopped
2 cups shredded, pre-cooked chicken
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
12-14 6-inch flour tortillas

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.

Mix cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic, cilantro and green onion in a large bowl.

Fold in chicken and shredded cheese and stir until combined.

Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling across the middle of a tortilla.

Roll the tortilla around the filling and place seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until all filling has been used.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tortilla turns a golden-brown color and becomes crisp. Serve with extra salsa.

Family Rating:  1 1/2 thumbs up.















No comments:

Post a Comment