Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Weekend Chef: Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey & Chorizo Breakfast Hash

My husband, the Weekend Chef, originally found and made this dish for our supper club brunch.  He was purposefully looking for a dish that used leftover turkey, since we had so much leftover from my daughter's family birthday party, which was the day before our supper club.  When I think of hash, I think of the canned corned beef stuff that I can't stand.  So I have to admit I was a bit skeptical.  Can I tell you how amazing this dish was?!  Everyone at supper club loved it!  It had a nice, slight heat to it and I thought the brussels sprouts were a really interesting addition.  Well, I loved it so much and we had leftover ingredients (Brussels sprouts, chorizo, etc.)  that I did something so uncharacteristic of me.....I ended up making it again during the week with some scrambled eggs (I don't eat fried, runny yolk eggs!) as a breakfast for dinner dish....yes, I thought it was THAT GOOD!  I just scooped some out for the kids before I added the Sriracha. 

Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey & Chorizo Breakfast Hash
recipe slightly adapted from Cooking and Eating From Away in Maine

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 ounces fresh Mexican chorizo
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups Brussels sprouts, raw or cooked, thinly sliced
1 large russet potato, cooked, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
2 cups roasted turkey meat, white and dark meat, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon chili sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sriracha hot sauce (optional)

Directions:1.In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add chorizo, and break up with a spoon. Add onion, garlic, Brussels sprouts, and potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent and potatoes begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add turkey meat, heavy cream, chili sauce, a dash of salt and pepper, and stir until combined.

2.Using a spatula, press mixture into bottom of pan. Let cook without stirring until crust forms, about two minutes. Scrape up hash, mix, and press mixture back into bottom of pan. Repeat every two minutes, until brown crusty bits appear throughout, about ten minutes total.

3. Add a swirl of Sriracha, if desired, and serve.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment