Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Children's Book Review: The Birthday Pet

The Birthday Pet

The Birthday Pet
Written by: Ellen Javernick
Illustrated by: Kevin O'Malley
Published by: Marshall Cavendish Children, 2009

from goodreads.com:
"It was Danny s Birthday and his folks said he could get any kind of animal he wanted for a pet. Danny thought it over before he went to bed. All I really want is a turtle, he said." But instead, his family gets him a dog, a kitten, a rat, and a bird. Danny shakes his head after each gift is offered until he finally receives the present he s wished for all along. Accompanying each amusing stanza are Kevin O Malley s cheerful illustration using design markers and colored pencil.

* My daughter turned 6 this past Saturday, April 14th.  I'm still kind of in disbelief that she's six already.  The time has just flown by!  If I had planned accordingly, I would have put some books on hold at the library that focused on birthdays.  This was the only book that I picked out that had "birthday" in the title.  When I had brought it home from the library and my daughter was examining the picture book pile, she told me that she was saving this one for her birthday.  It really doesn't revolve around a birthday (which my daughter was quick to point out!) as much as Danny wanting a pet for his birthday.  Told in rhyme, this story goes through each family member trying to convince Danny that he doesn't really want a pet turtle, and offering an alternative pet.  I liked the lesson in this story, when you ask a child a question.....listen to his/her answer!  Children sometimes actually know what they want!  We all enjoyed this one, though like I mentioned, my daughter was a bit disappointed that it didn't really have much to do with an actual birthday!

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.





No comments:

Post a Comment