Sunday, April 8, 2012

Children's Book Review: The Easter Egg


The Easter Egg
Written and illustrated by:  Jan Brett
Published by: Scholastic, 2010

from goodreads.com:
Jan Brett’s lovable bunny hero, Hoppi, and her remarkable Easter Rabbit will enchant readers as they pore over illustrations filled with dazzling eggs made by Flora Bunny, Aunt Sassyfrass and others. If Hoppi can make the best Easter egg, he will get to help the Easter Rabbit deliver the eggs on Easter morning. But it is not so easy. Discouraged, he goes into the woods to think when a blue robin’s egg tumbles out of its nest. Hoppi keeps it safe and warm until the baby bird hatches, and when the Easter Rabbit arrives, he chooses the empty blue eggshell to reward Hoppi for his kindness.

Spring is everywhere in gorgeous illustrations framed with pussy willows, flowering vines and flowers. Side borders feature busy rabbits making their unusual eggs and, in a border above, the Robin’s family drama unfolds.


* Our family is a huge fan of Jan Brett.  We've read and own a lot of her Christmas-themed stories.  When I saw this book on sale in my daughter's Scholastic book order a couple of years ago I had to add it to our collection.  In this book, Hoppi hopes to decorate the winning Easter egg so he can help Easter Rabbit hide the eggs on Easter morning.  Unfortunately, Hoppi realizes how difficult it is to make the perfect egg.  I especially liked the line in the story when Hoppi realizes, "I guess I don't have to win.  I just want to make an egg I am proud of."  Ultimately, Hoppi does do something to be very proud of when he helps Mother Robin with one of her eggs.  Of course, the beautifully detailed Spring pictures help add to the story, as do the pictures in the side bar. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I haven't found very many "quality" Easter stories.  This is definitely one that is worthy of keeping in our permanent collection.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!




No comments:

Post a Comment