Monday, April 2, 2012

Meatless Mondays: Roasted Beet Pizza

I love beets.  Especially roasted and eaten with goat cheese.  I had not yet tried beets on pizza so when I found this recipe I had to give it a try.  The original recipe called for a golden beet, which my grocery store didn't have.  So, I had to use a regular red beet.  Of course the recipe also called for a drizzle of honey at the end, which was when I realized that I had no honey in the house!  :(  I think the recipe would have tasted much better with that honey.  My husband and I ate it but both thought it was missing something (maybe the honey?!!).  I'm thinking the honey would have helped.  I didn't enjoy it enough to try making it again though.  Especially when there are so many more pizza recipes to try!  If you are a beet lover though I recommend giving it a try...just make sure you have some honey!


 
Roasted Beet Pizza (Pizza alla Barbabietola Arrostito)
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, September 2008

Ingredients:
1 (4-ounce) beet
2 teaspoons olive oil
1store bought pizza dough
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup vertically sliced shallots
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beet; scrub with a brush. Wrap beet in foil. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool. Trim off beet root; rub off skin. Cut beet in half crosswise; thinly slice halves.

3.  In a small pan heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil.  Add shallots and saute for 4-5 minutes until tender.

4. Position an oven rack in the lowest setting. Place a pizza stone on lowest rack.

5. Gently brush the other teaspoon of oil over pizza dough. Arrange cheese, beet slices, and shallots evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Slide dough onto preheated pizza stone, using a spatula as a guide.
6. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from pizza stone. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into 8 wedges.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment