I love beets. Especially roasted and eaten with goat cheese. I had not yet tried beets on pizza so when I found this recipe I had to give it a try. The original recipe called for a golden beet, which my grocery store didn't have. So, I had to use a regular red beet. Of course the recipe also called for a drizzle of honey at the end, which was when I realized that I had no honey in the house! :( I think the recipe would have tasted much better with that honey. My husband and I ate it but both thought it was missing something (maybe the honey?!!). I'm thinking the honey would have helped. I didn't enjoy it enough to try making it again though. Especially when there are so many more pizza recipes to try! If you are a beet lover though I recommend giving it a try...just make sure you have some honey!
Roasted Beet Pizza (Pizza alla Barbabietola Arrostito)
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, September 2008
1 (4-ounce) beet
2 teaspoons olive oil
1store bought pizza dough
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup vertically sliced shallots
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beet; scrub with a brush. Wrap beet in foil. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool. Trim off beet root; rub off skin. Cut beet in half crosswise; thinly slice halves.
3. In a small pan heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add shallots and saute for 4-5 minutes until tender.
4. Position an oven rack in the lowest setting. Place a pizza stone on lowest rack.
5. Gently brush the other teaspoon of oil over pizza dough. Arrange cheese, beet slices, and shallots evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Slide dough onto preheated pizza stone, using a spatula as a guide.
6. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from pizza stone. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into 8 wedges.
Family Rating: 1 thumb up.