Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ravioli with Smoked Salmon and Vodka Cream Sauce

When I first saw this recipe I couldn't wait to give it a try.  I'm not a huge smoked salmon fan, but I know my husband really likes it and I can tolerate it in small doses.  I served the kids ravioli with tomato sauce but made them try a bite.   My husband wasn't a huge fan.  The salmon ends up getting cooked in the sauce and he prefers the raw taste better...and in this case, I do have to agree.  However, this recipe was super quick and easy and it's a nice change from regular ravioli with red sauce.

I have to disclose that I rarely use parsley.  I don't like the taste and honestly am not big into garnishing. In this recipe, and in several other recipes that I've made in the past, I've omitted it.  I tend to omit a lot of fresh herbs in recipes or subsitute with dried.  I know, definitely not the same thing.  However, I'll buy let's say cilantro for a recipe, use a tiny bit and then have the rest go bad in the fridge.  One of my goals this spring is to plant an herb garden so I can use more fresh herbs in my cooking. In the meantime, I've recently become a fan of the herb singles.  Not sure of the company but for 99 cents I can buy just enough of whatever herb I need and not feel bad that I'm wasting the rest! 

Ravioli with Smoked Salmon and Vodka Cream Sauce
from One Perfect Bite

Yield:  4 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup vodka
1-1/4 cups whipping cream
4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into strips about 1/4-inch wide x 2-inches long
1 pound fresh or frozen cheese-filled ravioli
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet, large enough to hold ravioli and sauce. Add red pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Remove pan from heat and carefully add vodka. When pan has stopped sizzling return it to a burner set on medium-high heat and cook until vodka has nearly evaporated. Add cream and bring to a boil over high heat. Add salmon, reduce heat to very low and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the salmon to steep and infuse the cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

2) Meanwhile, bring a 6-quart pot of water to a boil. Salt water, add ravioli and cook, per package instructions, until just until tender. Drain. Add ravioli to salmon-cream mixture and toss gently to coat. Evenly divide ravioli among 4 shallow pasta bowls; spoon any additional sauce evenly over pasta.
Mommy & Daddy Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment