Monday, April 9, 2012

Meatless Monday: Black Bean Burritos with Avocado

I am not a big bean eater.  In trying to be adventerous and showing my kids that I will try new foods and eat foods that I don't really like, I decided to make these burritos.  I like avocado and was hoping that would help!  Thinking that neither the kids or I would enjoy these very much I also made yellow rice to serve with them. I know they kids, especially my son, loves yellow rice and figured he'd eat something at dinner.  I think my mouth almost dropped when my son proceeded to finish his entire half of burrito that I gave him and proclaimed "You're the best cook!"  I wasn't as enthusiastic as he was about this meal, but I have to say, that once I added the avocado, sour cream, salsa, and cheese, the beans didn't stand out as much.  As an added plus, this was super quick to make and my son at another burrito for lunch the next day!  Finally found something that he likes (but which unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of!). 


Black Bean Burritos with Avocado
Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light, January 2005

Yield:  4 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
6 tablespoons bottled salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar

Preparation:
Combine avocado and lime juice, tossing to coat.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in water, cumin, and beans. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/4 cup bean mixture into each tortilla. Top with 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream, 1 1/2 tablespoons salsa, and 2 tablespoons avocado; roll up.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment