Thursday, April 5, 2012

Creamy Ham Casserole

I was looking to use up a ham steak that I've had sitting in my freezer for awhile.  A couple of weeks ago I came across this recipe while I was planning the meals for the week.  While it looked good and enabled me to use the ham steak, I realized that I already had a pasta dish for the week.  I thought that I'd try substituting potatoes for the pasta.  Surprisingly, it ended up working out nicely.  It was super cheesy (I may have needed to use more potatoes) but we all enjoyed it. It did require some prep in the beginning (the kids got to watch a little television while I did the prep work) and then while it baked for thirty minutes it gave me enough time to get the kids showered, so although a little time-consuming, it all ended up working out well.

Creamy Ham Casserole
Recipe adapted from The Novice Chef

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound of potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 quarts boiling water
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup fat free milk
1 10oz can reduced-fat, reduced sodium, cream of mushroom soup
2 cups (8 oz) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 (6 oz) tub light cream cheese with chives and onions, softened
2 cups chopped lean ham
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions:
Cook potatoes in 2 quarts boiling water for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Add broccoli and carrots and cook 3 minutes more.

Combine milk, soup, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese in a large bowl; mix well with a whisk. Add noodle mixture and ham and stir well.

Divide potato mixture evenly between a 9x13 baking dish that has been coated with olive oil (or Pam). Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over casserole.

To bake immediately: Cover casserole with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.

Family Rating:  1 thumb up.


No comments:

Post a Comment