Sunday, April 1, 2012

Recipe Repeat: Chicken Sausage and Provolone Penne Bake

Prior to starting this blog, after I made a recipe, I'd highlight it in the cookbook (or tear out) but not really give much detail as to whether it was any good or not (which = not very helpful). As I clean out my recipe binder and folders I'm trying recipes that I've already made (though they were probably made years ago!) to see if they really are worth of repeating or saving.  I've made this recipe before and I know when I first made it, I thought it was pretty good.  Making it recently for the second time, I wasn't really wowed. Don't get me wrong.  It's not a bad dish.  I used apple chicken sausage which gave the dish a sweet taste.  It's a change from regular pasta and sauce.  Maybe I just knew what to expect since I'd make it before.  The kids ate it up, minus the tomatoes, because they love pasta and sausage.  And while there is some prep time and 15 minutes of simmering, there is also 25 minutes of cook time which allows time to take care of other things while dinner is finishing cooking.


Chicken Sausage and Provolone Penne Bake
Cooking Light, January 2005

Yield:  8 servings (1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients:
1 pound uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 (12-ounce) package sweet basil and pine nut chicken sausage (such as Gerhard's), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
Cooking spray
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, sausage, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through diced tomatoes); cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

Combine pasta and tomato mixture; spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment