Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bacon Pierogi Bake

I grew up eating pierogies and kielbasa regularly and enjoy them a lot.  My daughter also loves piegories!  Unfortunately, my son isn't the biggest fan of them, so I don't make them very often.  I saw this recipe for a pierogi bake and wanted to give it a try.  It had me at the word bacon!  It was really easy to make and my husband and daughter enjoyed it.  My son wasn't the biggest fan, but he ate some of it so that was an accomplishment!  I don't know if it's because I've been working out and trying to eat healthier (this is NOT a healthy dish!) that I felt this dish was a little heavy for me.  It's definitely one of those comforting type of dishes and would probably taste even better in the fall/winter. 


Bacon Pierogi Bake
recipe slightly adapted from Let's Dish

Ingredients:
1 (16 oz.) package frozen potato and cheddar pierogies
4-6 bacon slices, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chives, chopped


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the frozen pierogies in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan. Set aside. Add garlic to drippings in pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over pierogies. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, top with cheese, and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with reserved bacon, chives, a sprinkling of black pepper, and some additional shredded cheese, if desired.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.



No comments:

Post a Comment