Saturday, June 9, 2012

Prosciutto Pizza with Tangy White Sauce

I know that I've mentioned numerous times how much my family loves pizza.  It's been a weekly staple at our house now for the past couple of months.  It's so easy to make (of course depending on what is put on top of it!) and there are so many different types to make, that it's never the same old plain pizza for us!  We don't get tired of it!  I saw this recipe and it looked delicious.....and let me tell you, it definitely was!  My husband and I are big fans of prosciutto.  I rarely cook with it though because it's expensive and my kids don't like it.  Although, as with this pizza, in small quantities it can be very cheap!  This pizza was delicious!  My son picked the prosciutto off of his and ate the cheese sauce and dough.  I always make a plain pizza for my daughter so she ate that.  I would definitely make this again....and I normally don't repeat recipes!


Prosciutto Pizza with Tangy White Sauce
recipe slightly adapated from Cooking Light, November 2011

Ingredients:
1 store-bought pizza dough
3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives

Preparation:
1.  Place a pizza stone on oven rack and preheat to 450°.

4. Combine milk and next 3 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add garlic to pan; cook for 3 minutes or just until butter and garlic begin to brown, stirring frequently. Add 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour to pan, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in milk mixture, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Spread sauce in an even layer over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border; sprinkle sauce evenly with cheese. Slide pizza onto preheated pizza stone. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden. Arrange prosciutto on pizza, and sprinkle with chives.

Mommy & Daddy rating:  2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment