Sunday, June 10, 2012

Children's Book Review: Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10

Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10

Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10
Written by:  Judy Finchler
Illustrated by:  Kevin O'Malley
Published by: Walker and Company, 1995

from goodreads.com:
I know my teacher, Miss Malarkey, lives in our classroom, Room 10. She's there all the time. In fact, all the teachers live at school. They eat dinner in the cafeteria and sleep in the teachers' lounge. I'm sure of it!

So why is Miss Malarkey moving into my apartment house?...

What could be more surprising than finding out your teacher has a life outside school? In Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10, Judy Finchler and Kevin O'Malley celebrate kids' comic misunderstandings about the private lives of teachers.

* As a former teacher, I found this book amusing.  I have to say that I don't think I've ever had a student ask me if I lived at the school, though I'm sure there are many children out there who believe that teachers do!  I can imagine it must be hard for students to comprehend the idea of teachers having lives outside of the environment that they know them in.  This book is told from the perspective of a first grade boy who finds out that his teacher is moving into his apartment building.  He discovers that she lives a pretty normal life. 

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment