Friday, June 22, 2012

Children's Book Review: Let's Do Nothing

Let's Do Nothing!

Let's Do Nothing!
Written and illustrated by:  Tony Fucile
Published by: Candlewick Press, 2009

from goodreads.com:
Frankie and Sal have already played every sport and board game invented, baked and eaten batches of cookies, and painted a zillion pictures. What’s left to do? Nothing! Ten seconds of nothing! Can they do it? Can they act like stone statues in the park? Can they simply hold their breath and not blink an eye? With a wink to the reader and a command of visual humor, feature film animator Tony Fucile demonstrates the Zen-like art of doing nothing...oops! Couldn’t do it!

* I'm glad that I don't hear the words "I'm bored" come out of the mouths of my children.  My daughter reads when she's bored and I'm okay with that!  My son is very good at playing quietly with his toys and can always find something to do.  So, it was interesting to read a book where two boys have played with everything and decide to try to do nothing.  But they soon discover that doing nothing is harder than it looks!  It was nice to see the great imagination of the blonde-haired little boy in the story as he tried to do nothing.  The boys realize that even when you try to do nothing, your body is still doing something.....for example, your eyes blink.  The illustrations were humorous and the kids and I enjoyed this story.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment