Friday, June 15, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken

On the now rare occasion when we order Chinese take-out, the kids always want us to get Sesame Chicken.  They love the fried chicken pieces in the sweet sauce.  I'm not sure if they have ever had Sweet and Sour Chicken.  I know that I was never a fan of the fried chicken chunks in a weird coating and the red sauce to dip it in, so we never order it. However, I saw this recipe though and had to try it.  I am so glad that I did too!  When I tell you this dish was AMAZING I am not lying.  My mouth is watering, just thinking about it.  Unfortunately, it's not a quick dinner.  The chicken requires coating in cornstarch and egg and then it gets browned before it cooks in the oven for an hour.  And it has to be turned/mixed in the sauce every 15 minutes.  But believe me, it is well worth it!  The kids asked for thirds! I served this with white rice and broccoli.  I will definitely be making this again soon, it was that good! 


Sweet and Sour Chicken
from Mandy's Recipe Box

Ingredients:

For the Chicken:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

For the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. I like my chicken partially frozen when cutting. It makes it easier. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up +!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment