Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Savory Italian Bread Pudding

I haven't eaten many bread puddings, but most, if not all of the ones that I have tried I think have been sweet.  I found this recipe for a savory bread pudding and thought that I'd try it.  As much as me and the kids love salami, I try not to buy or eat it very often.  Since I needed salami for another recipe that I am making later in the week, I decided to add some to this dish.  This way, instead of ordering "4" slices of salami, I could order a 1/4 pound.  This dish was definitely different, but tasty.  My husband and I enjoyed it but the kids weren't big fans.   This is not a quick meal, since it needs to cook for 30-40 minutes.  However, if you're in the mood for a savory bread pudding this is worth a try.

Savory Bread Pudding
Recipe adapted from Country Momma Cooks

Ingredients:
8 c. french bread, cubed
6 eggs
1 c. milk
1 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 c. frozen spinach thawed and drained
1 can of diced tomatoes drained well
3 ounce can of sliced black olives
6 slices salami, cut up
6 slices deli ham, cup up
1 c. Italian blend cheese

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Place eggs, milk, flour and seasoning in a blender and blend.

2. In a large bowl gently stir everything together except for the cheese.

3. Pour in to a greased 9x9" baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.

4. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment