Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chidren's Chapter Book Review: Lulu and the Brontosaurus

Lulu and the Brontosaurus

Lulu and the Brontosaurus
Written by:  Judith Viorst
Illustrated by:  Lane Smith
Published by:  Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2010

from goodreads.com:
Judith Viorst and Lane Smith team up to create an irresistibly fresh and funny story with an ending that will surprise you again and again and again.

* I'm always on the look out for new chapter books that are appropriate for and that I can read with my six year old daughter.  I recently checked this one out of the library.  I thought that my almost four year old, dinosaur-loving son might enjoy it too since it involved a brontosaurus.  My family is familiar with some of Viorst's picture books.  I'm not sure if this is her first chapter book, but it was our first by her.  In this story Lulu is a spoiled brat who throws tantrums if she doesn't get what she wants.  When her birthday approaches and she tells her parents that she wants a brontosaurus and they tell her no.....well, she decides to go out and find herself one on her own.  An interesting journey unfolds as she travels on her quest for a dinosuar.   My kids loved the little song that she sings to herself, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, gonna get A bronto-bronto-bronto Brontosaurus for a pet" and were singing it throughout the day after they first heard it!  The chapters in this book are extremely short with humorous black and white illustrations. The kids and I enjoyed this as part of our morning reading.

Family Rating:  1 1/2 thumbs up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment