Monday, February 13, 2012

Children's Book Review: Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine

Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine

Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine
Written by:  Herman Parish
Illustrated by:  Lynne Avril
Published by: Greenwillow Books, 2009
32 pages

from goodreads.com:
Amelia Bedelia is sure she will love everything about Valentine's Day.

The sweet surprises
Cards to give and receive
A party at school
A big, long family hug

 Amelia Bedelia can't wait.
What could be better?
Valentine's Day
Hooray for Valentine's Day

* As a special education teacher, I often used Amelia Bedelia books to help with teaching idioms and literal meanings.  Since the passing of Peggy Parish, the original author of the Amelia Bedelia series, her nephew Herman has continued writing books in the series.  I have to say that I don't think that they are as good.   Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine looks like it's geared towards young children, as it's written in a hardcover, picture book type format, and the inside jacket says ages 4-8.  The book did not hold the interest of my 3 year old son and I think my daughter was drawn to the book because of it's pink cover and heart/Valentine's theme.   I would question my daughter, what do you think that really means, when we came to some expressions that Amelia took literally and she looked at me totally confused.  I tried explaining them to her, but it seemed to be a little over her head. 

Family Rating: So-so.





No comments:

Post a Comment