Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Parenting Book Review: Help! There's a Toddler in the House!

Help! There's a Toddler in the House!

Help! There's a Toddler in the House!: Proven Strategies for parents of 2-6 year olds to Survive and Thrive through the Mischief, Mayhem, and Meltdowns
Written by:  Thomas M. Reimers, Ph.D.
Published by:  Boys Town Press, 2011
220 pages

from goodreads.com:
Toddlers and preschoolers are unpredictable, and their antics often keep parents guessing: Why won't my five-year-old eat his veggies? Why does my two-year-old keep biting her sister? Why can't my three-year-old stay in his own bed? Why must I repeat myself every time I tell my daughter to do something?

The naughty as well as challenging behaviors of young children can drive even the most patient parents to their wits' end. In these pages, parents learn how to cope with and correct many of the most common behavioral problems that little ones demonstrate.

* Having a 3 year old and an almost 6 year old, I thought this book sounded very useful.  The author, Thomas M. Reimers, is Director of Boys Town's Behavioral Health Clinic and has written many articles on chilcdren's behavior.  For a new parent this book would be very helpful.  I've read enough parenting books and magazines that there wasn't a lot of new information for me in this book.

I did like that each chapter was broken down into a specific behavior (tantrums, potty training, mealtime, agressive behavior, etc.).  Reimers then
explained the behavior and gave step-by-step instructions and strategies to help parents change the negative behavior.

I'd like to think that my husband and I are doing a good job of raising our kids and we really don't have major behavior issues that we need to deal with.  However, one point that stuck with me from the book is there should be three positive interactions for every negative interaction with your child.  Reimers notes, "We sometimes have a tendency to focus on what is wrong rather than what is right. Likewise, there is a tendency for parents to take their children's positive behaviors for granted."  Since reading this book I have tried to praise my children more for making good choices and exhibiting positive behavior. 

Reimer provides resources for parents including additional reading and picture book titles that can be read with children.

Overall I think this is a worthwhile read if you have a specific behavior that you would like to change in your child. 

Mommy Rating:  one thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment