Friday, February 17, 2012

Quick Fix Chicken Paprikash

I grew up with my mom making Hungarian Goulash.  She used beef cubes and lots of paprika!  I found this recipe while looking through food blogs.  The "quick fix" definitely caught my eye and I liked the idea of using chicken instead of beef.  Even better, I'd get to try out the new sweet paprika that we recently bought on a trip to Penzeys.  If you don't know, Penzeys is an amazing spice store.  They have retail stores and online/catolgue ordering. You can check them out at http://www.penzeys.com/.


Unfortunately for me, I never have leftover cooked chicken sitting in the fridge.  So, to add to my cooking time, I had to cook up some chicken breasts to make this.  If I didn't have to do that, this would be a really quick and easy meal!  I left the original recipe below, the only change that I made was that I didn't add the hot paprika (1. because I don't have any  and 2. I wanted it kid-friendly).  The kids enjoyed this enough to eat all of their dinner (minus the red pepper pieces for my daughter) and my daughter was willing to take leftovers for lunch the next day!

Quick Fix Chicken Paprikash
One Perfect Bite food blog
http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2009/01/quick-fix-chicken-paprikash.html

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 can (10.5-oz.) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 to 3 cups hot cooked egg noodles

Directions:
1) Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add onion and saute until tender and lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add red pepper and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes longer. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in sweet paprika, hot paprika and salt. Stir flour into sour cream and whisk into sauce until smooth; bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

2) Fold in chicken and noodles. Cook, stirring, over medium heat to warm chicken and noodles, about 3 minutes. Serve hot. Yield: 4 servings.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment