Saturday, February 11, 2012

Children's Book Review: Love, Ruby Valentine

Love, Ruby Valentine

Love, Ruby Valentine
Written by: Laurie Friedman
Illustrated by:  Lynne Avril Cravath
Published by: Lerner Publishing Group, 2006
32 pages

from goodreads.com:
Deep in the heart of Heartland lives Ruby Valentine and her trusty parrot Lovebird. Ruby's favourite day of the year is Valentine's Day - she loves to say "I love you" and make cards and treats to deliver to everyone in her town. But Ruby is so exhausted that she sleeps right through the holiday. Although Ruby's worried that she'll have to wait a whole year to tell everyone that she loves them, Lovebird convinces her to deliver her treats and messages of love even though it's a day late. To Ruby's surprise, no one minds. In fact, they're thankful for her sweet wishes and kind heart, leaving Ruby with the realization that every day is the best day to say "I love you"!

* If the glittery front cover didn't catch my daughter's eye, the first pages with the all of the hearts certainly did!  The house, the trees, the flowers, even the cow had a heart on it that caught my daughter's attention.  The story was okay.  Ruby works so hard in prepartion for Valentine's Day that she's so tired and accidentally sleeps through the holiday.  The lesson Ruby learned, that you can say "I love you!" any day, not just Valentine's Day seemed like a no-brainer.  I tell my daughter I love her every day before she gets on the school bus and she is always writing notes to my husband and I about how great we are and how much she loves us. My 3 year old son didn't seem very interested in listening to the story.  He got up while we were reading and started playing with his cars.  Laurie Friedman is the author of the "Mallory" chapter book series which we'll probably be checking out soon. 

Family Rating: one thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment