Sunday, February 26, 2012

Children's Book Review: Extra Yarn

Extra Yarn

Extra Yarn
Written by:  Mac Barnett
Illustrated by:  Jon Klassen
Published by: Balzer & Bray, 2012
40 pages

from goodreads.com:
With a supply of yarn that never runs out, Annabelle knits for everyone and everything in town until an evil archduke decides he wants the yarn for himself.

* Annabelle finds a box filled with colorful yarn and is generous enough to knit sweaters for everyone in town.  When the archduke sails across the sea and tries to buy the box from Annabelle, he will stop at nothing when she refuses.  As you read this picture book, your eye is immediately drawn to the small pops of color from the yarn that Annabelle uses to knit, amongst the dark black and white illustrations. I didn't realize that Jon Klassen, the illustrator of this book, was the same author/illustrator of the story I Want My Hat Back, until we see the animals in the sweaters that Annabelle knit them. It was funny that my son realized it too and commented, "That's the same drawing as the bear that lost his hat!"  Overall, this was a nice read with great illustrations.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my Wednesday Blog Hop! We do it every Wednesday and I would love it if you'd be a regular visitor. Just email me with your email address and I will gladly send you a weekly reminder!
    Sinea from Ducks n a Row

    www.ducksnarow.com
    sinea77@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete