Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February: "Love Your Library" Month

February is "Love Your Library" Month.  If you haven't visited your local library recently, I strongly encourage you to! 

As a former teacher, my house is FILLED with books.  I have too many children's books to count and my own bookshelves of adult/young adult books are overflowing.  However, I make it a point to take a weekly trip to the library.  Since our weekends are usually busy and I'm home during the week now, my son and I take a weekly trip to our local library.  I always pick out a couple of chapter books for my daughter and she loves being surprised when she gets home from school to see what I picked out.

If your library doesn't have something that you want they can most likely get it for you through the interlibrary loan system.  Every week when I check out there's a pile of materials waiting for me on the hold shelf.  Besides our stash of picture books that we pick out each week, we also get movies, CDs, and even video games from our library. 

If you're looking to get rid of some of your books, many libraries accept donations of gently used books, CDs, and videos.  Check to see what your library policy is.  On a similar note, if you're looking to add to your permanent collection, many libraries have a "book barn" where they sell books and other materials really cheap!  And the money goes back into the library to help provide new materials and programs!

Our current library is small and does not offer many programs.  However, over the summer they have a weekly children's story/activity time and we've seen a magician and have gone to the end of summer ice cream party.  Our previous library that we used to go to showed movies, had a computer lab, and had all kinds of workshops and guest lectures including nights and weekends.  Check to see what your library offers!

I highly encourage you to go take some time and and visit your local library this month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment