Tuesday, February 28, 2012

IHOP National Pancake Day: Puffy Pancake with Nutty Banana Butterscotch


Since 2006 IHOP has been celebrating National Pancake Day.  In exchange for a free short stack of Buttermilk pancakes guests are encouraged to make a monetary donation to designated local charities.  Unfortunately, the nearest IHOP is over thirty minutes away.  So, in honor of National Pancake Day I am featuring the recipe for this Puffy Pancake that I recently made.

Let me tell you how quick and easy this recipe is.  And, when I made it for dinner, it was like we were eating dessert. Unfortunately, I don't have a 9-inch square pan, so I used my 8-inch one.  I think I needed to just use a 9x13 inch pan and double the recipe because this was gone in minutes.  My husband and I could have totally gone for seconds, but there were none! We had plenty of leftover sauce that we used to dip strawberries in and to help make a Supper Club bread pudding more "kid-friendly."

Puffy Pancake with Nutty Banana Butterscotch
Every Day with Rachael Ray, May 2008

Ingredients:

1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
5 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
Pinch salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 bananas, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Add 1/2 stick butter to a 9-inch square baking dish and melt in the oven, about 5 minutes.

2.In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and granulated sugar, then whisk in the egg-milk mixture.

3.Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish; bake until the pancake begins to rise, 15 to 20 minutes.

4.Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cook the brown sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons water over medium heat, stirring, until bubbling, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 stick butter, the sour cream and bananas and heat through.

5.Drizzle the pancake with half of the butterscotch sauce and sprinkle with walnuts. Slice and serve with the remaining sauce on the side.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!

I shared this recipe with:




Mandy‘s Recipe Box


1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing!!! Sadly, I'm allergic to bananas. This might be work the anaphylaxis ;)

    ReplyDelete