Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homesteader Cornbread

I decided to make cornbread to go with the Honey Baked Lentils (in yesterday's post).  I thought it might be work out nice to help scoop the lentils up.  Plus, like I mentioned, we had eaten a lot of rice recently, which is the usual serving recommendation for the lentils.  Since it was a last minute decision to make the cornbread, I was looking recipes that I already had the ingredients for to avoid a last-minute trip to the grocery store.   Luckily, I found this one and it had received a ton of great reviews.  I highly recommend using a castiron skillet for making cornbread.  Instead of using a 9x13 baking pan as directed in the recipe, I dumped the batter into my 9-inch castiron. You get a nice even cooking as seen in the picture below.  We LOVED this cornbread! It was delicious slathered with some butter.  It made enough in the castiron skillet to last us for a couple of days but we did end up eating all of it!  We couldn't let the delicousness go to waste!  Although I do have to warn, that it tastes the very best warm and moist, right out of the oven. It tended to dry out over the next couple of days, but warmed up in the toaster and slathered with butter, it made for a tasty breakfast.



Homesteader Cornbread
allrecipes.com - by WILLOWSMOM99

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2.In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3.Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment